mod bkgd

Monday, June 23, 2014

rhubarb season

Rhubarb season comes later in the Upper Midwest and stays longer than in other parts of the country. I tried a new recipe for cinnamon-rhubarb muffins, and they were delicious! The batter relies heavily on sour cream, and it has a texture unlike any other muffin batter I've made.

I made Martha's rhubarb syrup again, and we tried it in champagne cocktails, which were sadly rather disappointing. Far too sweet! And I'm a Nordic type with a sweet tooth, so that's saying a lot. I'll try it again, but with brut champagne. On the other hand, a rhubarb gin fizz is amazing.

Rhubarb Gin Fizz

2 oz. gin
a generous dash of rhubarb syrup
club soda 
2 lemon slices

Pour the gin, rhubarb syrup, and club soda in a lowball glass with ice cubes. Stir. Top off with soda water, squeeze in a slice of lemon, stir again. Garnish with the second lemon slice. Relax and enjoy, preferably while sitting on the veranda.

I'm knitting a Buttermere shawlette with this lovely rhubarb-colored yarn that I picked up at last summer's Midwest Fiber & Folk Art Fair -- Knitting Notions Classic Merino Bamboo in "Ruby." Easy pattern, perfect for toting around with me. The picture just shows the plain-jane stockinette part, but I just knit the lace border, and let me tell you, it was so nice to knit. Lace is the best.


Erik inherited my love of books, though he's more interested in gnawing on them than I am. He takes Sandra Boynton's smaller board books everywhere. I swear, that woman must sleep on a pile of money. 

 Showing off his lovely teeth! Another one is about to pop through on top.


Caffeine Girl said...

I can't stand rhubarb, but I love the color of that shawl!

Still a cute boy.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the color, but my gosh how can you knit in this weather? I am up in
Green Bay and its hot

Tracy Altieri said...

I love rhubarb - I remember walking into my back yard as a child with a cup containing sugar. I would rip off stalks of rhubarb, dip the end in sugar, and munch away!

Erik is growing so fast! I say that like it's a miracle, but it always seems that way!

Stephanie said...

Aww. Glad to hear summer is going well at your house! We are hosting a cookout on July 4th for Emma's 2nd birthday. I just finished knitting a fingering weight sweater for her and am planning a toddler bed sized blanket. (sjn821 on Rav)