Wednesday, December 21, 2011

so drink your gin and tonica...


It's time for Hannukah, Festivus, and all the other wintry holiday celebrations. Ah, the immortal words of Adam Sandler.

The tree is trimmed, the cards are (mostly) written, and cookies have been baked. Sadly, my digital camera just bit the dust so I have no tree or knitting photos to share. Time to start researching cameras!

We're hosting a second holiday family gathering at our place on the 26th. I'm going with a mostly Scandinavian theme -- gløgg, pickled herring, gjetost, Norwegian and Swedish baked goods. I couldn't bring myself to make lutefisk (dried cod treated with lye) though -- so gelatinous and disgusting. Now we just need some snow!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Looking for some holiday music that's not run of the mill? We've now exhausted our steady rotation of Low, Vince Guaraldi, and Sarah McLachlan.

Check out all the mixes over at I Am Fuel, You are Friends, or listen to my wintry mix:

---------------------------------------------------------------- 

No, this is not Capricha! A feline visitor bunked with us last week while her owner was away. Lewes is essentially Capricha's (thinner, longer-tailed) doppelgänger. Lewes occupied the front half of our flat, while Capricha stuck to the back -- they seemed surprisingly oblivious about each other's presence. (P.S. This is the last photo from my poor camera...)
----------------------------------------------------------------
 Last December Paul introduced me to one of his childhood holiday favorites, Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas. It's pretty much the sweetest, funniest holiday special. The muppets are adorable and kind of primitive, the story is a thoughtful take on "The Gift of the Magi," and there's a lot of great (and hilarious) music.  Apparently we're not alone in loving Emmet Otter! Here are some recent shout-outs from the folks at NPR and the Onion.

6 comments:

Katie M. said...

Ha! That song always makes me giggle. Your holiday plans sound lovely ... but how could they be otherwise with otters and jug bands? Wishing you all the best for a wonderful wintry mix!

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of Emmet Otter until I got married and my husband found a copy of it-- a childhood favorite, like you said. Our three kiddos just love it and would seem to have the songs memorized. :) A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled upon a copy of the book it was based on at the library, so we've been reading that too. Glad to hear that someone else has heard about it-- it's really so sweet.

Chris said...

Belated happy gwfgwf* to you!

*generic winter festive gathering with food

Carrie#K said...

Doppelganger cats! That's too cool.

Oooh, I love Chris's greeting. Happy gwfgwf as well! lol

Michelle H said...

That's so funny! My husband introduced our children and me to it last December, too!! He couldn't believe I'd never heard of it. He borrowed it from a friend and this year we found it on Netflix. Very sweet story.

Rachael said...

re emmet otter, the same thing happened to me, we watch it every year! Did he tell you how Alice Otter tells Mrs. Fox to fall off the dock after she gives her a hard time over the laundry?

That's why the fishing dude says "way to tell her alice!" or something like that as they steer away.

It makes that little bit much more amusing if you know that.

Happy New Year!