Thursday, December 08, 2011

in which I exhibit some wisdom

So, I resolved to be smart about unventing the scallop-edge garter stitch throw. Not only did I check my gauge, but I also did some math and took a long, careful look at the fabric I was getting with the lovely Quince & Co. Puffin yarn. And then I carefully wound up the yarn and shoved it back in my knitting basket. :( This was, however, a good learning experience:

a) I would have run out of yarn.
b) The fabric didn't have enough drape.
c) It was very, very heavy on the needles.

Some of the puffin yarn is destined to become a State Street Cowl (thanks, ifandany, for highlighting the pattern the other day!).
To make up for NOT knitting myself that cozy (but sure to be ill-fated) throw, I instead started crocheting like a madwoman. This is the easy-peasy diagonal box stitch, worked corner-to-corner, which I love, since one avoids making a foundation chain. (Mine are often too tight.) I'm using a very affordable superwash wool -- Knit Picks Bare Swish Worsted. Very soft and cozy, and the undyed version comes in nice long 220-yard skeins.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
in the kitchen

I hosted a low-key crafty afternoon for the girls from my knitting group this afternoon. Such a great, relaxing way to start off the holiday season! I tried not to go too overboard with the menu this time, but I did make a few things:
- brie en croute with brown sugar, bourbon, and pecans (holy smokes, this was awesome)
- my family's recipe for Norwegian cookies 
- easy mulled wine (next time I'd fortify it with Cointreau or maybe brandy)
- "the best" pumpkin bread (pretty good, but not as terrific as my mom's recipe, which I need to track down)

9 comments:

barefootrooster said...

wisdom received. also, OMG, that brie recipe! i am drooling, and i just finished dinner. it sounds unbelievable. happy week to you!

Kara said...

Sad about the throw. I need to learn that kind of wisdom myself.

And oh how I love me some brie!

Carrie#K said...

That shawl is really cute.

Learning experiences really ought to be more fun. Like that brie recipe. Wow, that looks delicious.

Katie M. said...

Oh, no! That's too bad about the throw -- but I am very impressed by your knitterly restraint and planning. Also, brie!

kim said...

I may just try some crochet again one of these days. Hope you have a warm and happy holiday season, Jodi!

Gigi said...

Hi Jodi! I'm so looking forward to seeing your finished blankie. Now, I want to make one too. And aren't you smart to do all that math and swatching?!
Great sounding recipes too -- must try the brie -- sounds wonderful.
Merry Christmas!
G

Chris said...

Good for you! I'm not so good at that...

Caffeine Girl said...

State Street Cowl? Is that Madison's State Street? I love the pattern so I think I'm going to pretend it is!

This is your idea of low-key entertaining? Hey, feel free to invite me over any time.

Rue said...

Oh, now I feel bad for leaving that excited comment about the blanket on the previous post. Would Eco Wool work better for the blanket? I remember that yarn being much loftier than the Quince.

I'm being good and not clicking through to the brie recipe. It's times like these that make me really hate being lactose intollerant. The recipe sounds fabulous!