Tuesday, November 23, 2010

harvest time

I baked carrot cupcakes for a birthday gathering for Paul that we hosted last weekend.
The carrot cake recipe was unremarkable, but I do want to share one tip. I added 2 tsp. orange zest to the cream cheese frosting, and it was quite nice!
--------------------------------------------------------
I'm crocheting some autumnal-looking granny square covers for throw pillows for our downstairs den.  The yarn is some long-stashed Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool, and I'm using a D hook, which feels TINY! Usually I crochet with worsted or chunky weight yarn.

My Greenfield cardigan is in time-out right now, as the first sleeve turned out enormous.  Crazy big. My gauge is spot-on, so I'm very annoyed.  I'd love to wear this cardigan over winter break, though, so I'll have to rip way back and add a whole bunch of decreases.
--------------------------------------------------------
 Cooking Light's recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash and Bacon Pasta was delicious the other week!

I loved the contrast between the sweet roasted squash and the crispy bacon.  Be forewarned, though, that this is a complicated recipe -- lots of dirty pots and pans, plus a rather odd recipe for white sauce. Lots of flour, no butter -- the sauce itself tasted a little weird and floury, but once incorporated into the recipe it was just fine.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

11 comments:

Samantha said...

I like the throw pillow covers! Very nice combination of colors. Happy belated birthday to Paul. Happy Thanksgiving!

Andi said...

I don't even know what to comment on first. Okay the plate, gorgeous! I love your new autumny squares and the recipe is going to be a must make this winter.
Happy Thanksgiving!

CelticCastOn said...

Love your silky wool squares, great colour combo!
Do we get to see the recipe for the carrot cupcakes? I'd love to give that a try!

Sharon said...

I saw a lady last week wearing a pull-over sweater made from granny squares. It looked great and so I had to ask her. Of course, it was a gift from a friend.

Katie M. said...

It all looks so lovely and ready for fall! Happy Thanksgiving!

marycatharine said...

Your granny squares always make me want to learn how to crochet, they are going to be awesome pillows.

Chris said...

I had carrot cake for my birthday, too - go, Paul! :)

Caroline said...

Love the crochet square. I really, really need to get over my crocheting phobia. There are so many beautiful things to crochet.

Mia said...

I hope you can figure out the sleeve. That is one of the sweaters I have marked to knit out of the book too. But don't feel bad, my Lia from KNitty had to be frogged because I felt the body was too short. And I am not only short but short waisted!!! A fewextra inches has made the differnce.

Happy day agter Thanksgiving!!!!!

Gigi said...

Yummy looking things you're cooking up Jodi! And I love the granny square cushion idea - something so homey and cosy about grannies, isn't there?
Happy Holidays to you!
G

La Cabeza Grande said...

The blue lotus dish as cupcake presentation is perfect. I can just taste the bit of zest making my favorite part (cream cheese frosting) pop.

And ooh, squash and bacon. Sounds warm, sweet and savory.