Wednesday, September 09, 2009

mermaid avenue

I've been knitting a bit less lately, and spending more time reading, cooking, taking guitar lessons, and working on ye olde dissertation. And just plain trying to make the most of the last gasp of summer by getting outside, picnicking, going to the farmer's market, and catching up with friends at BBQs.
an amazing mushroom patch at the Heller Nature Center on our Sunday outing

There is a shawl on the needles, though:
It's the After Hours Shawl pattern, knit up in Briar Rose Celebration, both purchased at the Midwest Fiber and Folk Art Fair this past summer. The colors remind me of mermaids, and I've been listening to one of my favorite low-key albums, the Dirty Three's Ocean Songs, while knitting. The colors and sheen are fabulous, but I'm not sure bamboo is for me.

On a more seasonal note, I'm also working on socks. Pumpkin socks, to be exact. :-)
I'm not the world's most dedicated sock knitter, so it's a good sign that I've already turned the heel. I was supposed to alternate the pumpkin patterns both horizontally and vertically. Oops! That's what I get for not reading directions, but I'm sure as heck not going back now.

We also bit the bullet and finally bought a new computer. I went for the iMac, and now I'm trying to figure out iPhoto and all that good stuff. Plus I still need to install a bunch of new software, which is a fairly major expense when coming from a PC.

I'm a little envious of someone's amazing ability to relax and take things easy:

No comments: