Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Random Tuesday

Pattern: Ariosa Wrap Cardi, by Cecily Glowik MacDonald (free!)
Yarn: Jaeger Extra Fine Merino Chunky (#14), 14 skeins
Needles: Clover US 9 bamboo circs

Notes:
With the bulky yarn and the intuitive lace pattern, this is a very quick knit. I dragged my heels a bit on the finishing, since there was a good amount of seaming and lots of stitches to pick up for the shawl collar and buttonband. I was inspired by Sknitty to knit this pattern, and I copied her in a couple of ways: 1) I subbed 2x2 ribbing for the shawl collar/band (instead of 4x4), and 2) I knit the sleeves first, which was a fabulous idea.

The shawl collar/band could use a good blocking, and I need to decide on a closure. Plus I need to find a photographer, some daylight, and a good hair day so that I can post a modeled shot.

more things I'm dying to knit...
- Drops textured yoke cardigan -- check out Elinor's on Ravelry -- it's gorgeous!

- Allegoro Loose Knit Cardi, another free pattern by Cecily Glowik MacDonald (love those Classic Elite Web-Letters)

sewing machine advice needed...
I've been using a friend's 10-year old Singer sewing machine that I had borrowed on indefinite loan. She finally needs it back, so I need to start researching machines. I'm looking for something that's fairly basic, but that is sturdy, reliable, affordable, and can handle machine quilting. I mainly make curtains, easy quilts, tote bags, and every once in a while a Roman costume or the like. I'm not planning to sew myself any bridesmaid dresses or anything too complicated. Any suggestions?

on DVD...

Wilby Wonderful -- a small movie, featuring Ellen Page before she made it big in Juno, and Paul Gross from one of my favorite TV shows, Slings and Arrows. It captures 24 hours in a small island town in Nova Scotia -- the characters are quirky and all have their own travails. It's darkly funny but also kind of sweet. Definitely not a big budget picture.

P.S. The Rotten Tomatoes website now lets you add movies directly to your netflix queue. Neat!

in the kitchen...
a yummy and easy brownie recipe, supposedly Katharine Hepburn's family recipe. It's even better when topped with mint cream cheese frosting and chocolate jimmies, but that may qualify as gilding the lily.

mint cream cheese frosting

2 C. powdered sugar (sifted if you have the patience)
1.5 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. butter, softened
1.5 T. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. mint extract
3 drops of green food coloring
chocolate jimmies (if desired)

Cream the butter and cream cheese. Add the powdered sugar and milk alternately and mix until smooth, then add flavorings and food coloring. Spread over cool brownies and sprinkle with chocolate jimmies.

on my feet...
Dansko Sissy, in brown pull-up leather, from Zappos. So cute, retro, and comfy. I coveted them all last summer, and I finally gave in. [I bought Dansko Nicolette sandals last summer, and they are comfortable, fairly stylish, and have held up well.]

On a related note, I bought a Ped Egg at Target last week. I'm very hesitant to buy "as seen on TV" crap, but I'd heard good things, and as much as I love pedicures, there isn't much room in my budget this summer for very many of them. Believe the hype -- it's very effective and easy to use. It's just like a microplane grater for your feet!

No comments: