Sunday, January 25, 2009

feeling sheepish

Apparently sheep are on my brain these days. Here's the new and improved sheep!
Pattern: Sheep in Sheep's Clothing, by Frankie Brown (Rav download)
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool Merino, Winter White and Denim Marl
Elann Peruvian Baby Cashmere, Deepest Black, for embroidery
Needles: Clover US 4 bamboo circs

Notes
I used a worsted weight yarn and larger needles for a slightly larger sheep. The pattern is knit flat and seamed. It's one of the easiest and least fiddly toy patterns I've knit, so don't let the seaming deter you. The only challenge was the head! The first head looked like this. I had trouble with the directions at first. Frankie was nice enough to email me and straighten me out. Do a running stitch around the outside of the circle that forms the head, then put a little stuffing in, and then cinch it closed (like a yo-yo, I think). I used carded wool as stuffing.

Mr. Sheep also looks pretty cute bereft of his sheep's clothing:
All that blue wool he's standing on is the start of a Cable Throw (rav link, as the Lion Brand website is truly a pain). I'm making 6 panels rather than 4, with 9 repeats rather than 7, for a slightly larger size. The panels make it easy to knit on the go. The yarn is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Superchunky, and it's very nice and squooshy to knit.
-----------------------------
A recent read, continuing the sheep theme:

This murder mystery told from a flock of sheep's POV is charming, unusual, and delightful. At times the naivete is a bit too twee and overdone, but overall it's a gem. Of course, it helps that I love sheep. :-)
-----------------------------
Knit 1 had this cute sheep notions bag that I just couldn't resist:
It's a bit dangerous to have a yarn store so close to my Trader Joe's!
-----------------------------
The textured shawl is nearing completion. This project is a prime example of why you shouldn't just grab whatever yarn captures your fancy and the latest pattern in your queue without thinking things through... More on that soon.
-----------------------------
Kylie in her new Kitty Canyon. Yep, she just barely fits!

No comments: