Thursday, September 11, 2008

WI Sheep & Wool bounty

Here's one of my friends from the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival last weekend:
I had a marvelous time, petting sheep and angora rabbits, and buying far more yarn that I actually need. I even watched an angora rabbit get a thorough shearing by Janice Becker of Kimmet Croft! It was one of the cutest things ever. I was so dazzled I didn't even think to get out my camera.
I wasn't so dazzled that I forgot to pick up some Kimmet Croft Fairy Hare yarn, though. It's a kit for a Bohus "Blue Shimmer" hat. Foolish me, I assumed that the kit would have the pattern. It does not, and now I need to find a copy of Poems of Color. Sigh...

Briar Rose is one of my favorite vendors, and I picked up a big skein of Charity to knit a Liesl for myself. I know, I had swatched with the DB Alpaca Silk in my stash, but I'm worried about stretchiness and itchiness.
And I found the perfect buttons! The blue-green ones in the middle are for Liesl, the brown ones on the left are for my cranberry FLS (still sleeve-less), and I just couldn't resist the green ones on the right.
------------------------
My car knitting:
An easy-peasy Sunday Market Shawl in Manos Silk Blend (pewter). I cast on 38 stitches rather than 30, since I have plenty of yarn and wouldn't mind a slightly larger finished item. I'm just about done with the second skein, and I'm not sure whether to break into the third or not. The pattern calls for 200 yards of Cash Iroha, and I'm almost done with 300 of the Silk Blend. Decisions, decisions...
------------------------
In the kitchen:
Pumpkin Spice Granola, from Baking Bites

Easy and delicious! Unlike many granola recipes, you don't add any oil/butter. The liquid comes from pumpkin puree, applesauce, and maple syrup. This is a great way to use up all the bits and bobs of dried fruit and nuts that clutter up my kitchen. I used dried cherries, raisins, and cranberries for the fruit, plus a mixture of chopped pecans, slivered almonds, and sliced almonds. It smells delicious as it bakes.
------------------------
I'm packing up for yet another Midwest weekend getaway -- a trip to Minnesota to see my family. Have to fit it all in before the fall quarter insanity begins!

No comments: