mod bkgd

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

oh, snap!

Disaster struck at knitting circle the other night. Much to my horror, when I opened my knitting bag, I found my one and only pair of Lantern Moon rosewood needles in this state:
Hmmm... not pleased with the durability of these needles, especially considering the high price. Back to Brittany Birch as my luxury needles of choice! That will teach me to splurge.
Startitis has struck, too, I'm afraid, but at least I'm actually finishing up the new projects I'm casting on. This little number is already ready for a dip in some Eucalan:
In the kitchen:
Black Bean and Goat Cheese Quesadillas
(adapted from a Cooking Light recipe)

1 tsp. olive or canola oil, plus a little more for cooking the quesadillas at the end
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup salsa – this plays a large part in the overall flavor! Use something that's not too watery.
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)
Tabasco or hot pepper sauce, to taste
1 (19-ounce) can black beans, undrained
1/2 cup roasted corn (frozen is fine)
1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese, crumbled
8 (8-inch) red chile flour tortillas – available at Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s
Top with any of the following:
light sour cream

Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa, cumin, cayenne pepper, Tabasco, and beans, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes or until thick. Mash the bean mixture slightly with a potato masher. Stir in corn; heat gently just to warm up the corn. Remove from heat; stir in the cilantro and goat cheese.

Spread the bean mixture evenly over 4 tortillas; top each with 1 tortilla, pressing gently.

Heat a small amount of olive oil (Cooking Light calls for 1/4 tsp., but I find I need a little more than that) in pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 quesadilla, and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Repeat!

It works well to keep the quesadillas warm in the oven while you’re cooking the rest of them.


reading :: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver

watching :: Spaced & Slings and Arrows (season 1)

No comments: