Wednesday, August 13, 2008

let the holiday knitting begin!

I'm following Chris' lead and getting started on holiday gifts! I don't usually do much holiday knitting, but I want to give some small projects to friends this year.

Here's yet another Windy City hat (I'll share the pattern soon -- just need to get some good modeled photos), as well as some Irish Hiking Wristwarmers. I'm using The Plucky Knitter's merino worsted (single ply -- not sure if she still carries this base yarn) in "Cheeky." It's super soft and gorgeous -- reminds me of Mmmmmalabrigo.
---------------------------------
Lisa Lloyd's A Fine Fleece is a lovely book for both spinners and non-spinning knitters alike. So many beautiful, timeless cable patterns! Consider yourself warned, though, that the sweater shaping is traditional/boxy rather than fitted. I picked it up after reading good reviews here and here. I just cast on for a Twilight Scarf, one of the few non-cabled patterns:

I'm using Knit Picks Gloss Lace in Aegean. The yarn has a nice crunch to it. It's not the softest, but that's fine
---------------------------------
Reading :: The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell
An engrossing, thoughtful, and suspeneful novel! Who knew that a sci fi novel featuring Jesuit priests could be so interesting?

Watching :: the latest Inspector Lynley mystery
I'm so sad that the BBC cancelled Lynley! There's only 1 episode left. Apparently the actors had no idea the end was in sight when they were shooting.

Capricha in bed

No comments: