Tuesday, October 23, 2007

an ode to mittens

For many, socks are the comfort food of knitting. Not me! I like mittens.
They knit up so quickly, the shaping makes them interesting, and they're not too fussy in terms of fit. Since there's not too much yarn involved, it's a great way to experiment with new yarns, ones that would be too expensive for a larger project, or that ball or two you found in the clearance bin at the LYS. This is my first time knitting with Rowan Kid Classic, and I'm enjoying it immensely. The mohair gives it a nice fuzziness, and the lambswool reminds me of the sweaters I wore as a little kid during those freezing Minnesota winters. I want to knit a little Tomten jacket in this exact shade of cherry red.

BTW, does anyone know a good pattern for cabled mittens in worsted or aran weight? I haven't had much luck, even on Ravelry.

The Winter 2007 Interweave Knits preview site is up. There's not much of interest to me this time. All the photos and styling look rather dated or amateurish. The Sweater Girl Pullover, Refined Aran Jacket, and Gathered Pullover are OK.

No comments: