Thursday, September 27, 2007

parting is such sweet sorrow

Good-bye, my sweet squirrelly friend:
Alas, my hands are too big. I'm going to frog and reknit. This was knit on 3s using KP Wool of the Andes (worsted weight), and I can just barely squeeze my hand into it. Should I go up to 4s or head straight to 5s? Any opinions?

Still no FOs, but here's a sneak preview:
F. Pea's Super-Natural Stripes baby cardigan, knit up in Mission Falls 1824 Cotton (in need of a button and a bath). The 4-patch quilt top just needs a border.

More baby knits underway:
Sandy's Diagonal Baby Blanket, a free pattern from Jimmy Beans Wool. The yarn is Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran on size 9 needles.

I couldn't find my mom's tried-and-true pumpkin bread recipe last night, so I tried something new to bring to knitting group. This is based on a recipe from the Land O Lakes website (one of my favorite baking resources), with a few tasty additions. It's not the dark, rich, super-moist version that Mom makes, but it received rave reviews from the knitters. The crystallized ginger gives it a nice spicy kick! I used Penzey's crystallized ginger. Penzey's is just fabulous -- high quality and low prices. Adding walnuts or pecans to the recipe would be great, too. You can substitute 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice for the individual spices.

Pumpkin Bread

1-3/4 C. all-purpose flour
1 C. canned pumpkin puree (not the same as pie filling)
3/4 C. firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 C. butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
dash of cardamom (optional)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
-----
1 T. crystallized ginger, minced
1/2 C. dried cranberries

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients except last 2 (crystallized ginger and cranberries) in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Gently mix in ginger and dried cranberries.

Spoon batter into greased 9"x5" loaf pan. Bake 45-55 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan.

No comments: