Thursday, September 20, 2007

lesson learned

How to block a baby hat? How about using a small mixing bowl?So far, so good...
Designer: Sandi Wiseheart (which must be one of the best last names ever)
Yarn: The Plucky Knitter, 100% Merino Single Ply Fingering, "Woodland Brown"
Needles: US3 Brittany birch DPNs
Size: Newborn


Hmmm... not so good after all. Looks more like very odd yarmulke. Embarrassingly enough, I didn't know how to pronounce that until I was 19. There was exactly one Jewish kid in my grade in my entire Minneapolis suburb (which was not small), and somehow traditional head coverings never came up in casual conversation.

I'll have to block this again before sending it off to Sarah. The newborn size is quite small indeed, so I would recommend knitting the largest size if you want it to be worn more than once. The annoyance of the YOs at the beginning and end of the needles has motivated me to learn magic loop or 2 circ's.

Mr. Greenjeans from the new Knitty is on the needles. I'm using Malabrigo merino worsted in "Violetas", and the yarn is as marvelous as ever. Some of you may remember it from my ill-fated attempt at the Hourglass sweater. A cardigan will see a lot a more use. I'm a big fan of the YOs along the raglan increases.
My knitting group met at my place last night since our coffee shop was closed, and it was great fun. Martha Stewart's Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares were absolutely yummy. It also inspired a frantic cleaning frenzy! It's so nice and clean in here now.

No comments: