Sunday, June 17, 2007

(nearly) FO + Knitflix

The easy baby cardi just needs some sort of fasteners. The pattern suggests crocheted yarn cords or ribbons, so I need to do a little thinking on this one. Alyssa just knit a very cute, hoodless verson of this same sweater, and she decided to omit fasteners altogether.
Pattern: Easy Baby Cardigan, by Diane Soucy (Knitting Pure & Simple)
Yarn: Jaeger Baby Merino DK - "Marbles"
Needles: Clover US 6 bamboo circular and DPNs
Size: 6 months

Notes: I love the pattern because it's so easy to follow. There is just one seam to sew up -- the hood. Next time I'll try the hoodless version. The yarn was OK to knit with, but not great. It had that slightly unpleasant, sticky superwash feel. The sleeves seem really long to me (and the body very short), but I don't have that much experience with babies' arm length, so I'll wait and see.

I went down a needle size to get gauge knitting flat. I learned that my gauge is definitely different on DPNs -- I should have gone up to size 7 for the sleeves.

Amy sent me a fabulous Knitflix swap package!
Kylie's helping with the photo shoot, of course. Like me, Amy is a self-professed Anglophile, and she sent me the BBC adaptation of the Elizabeth Gaskell novel North and South that I have been wanting to see ever since I saw Wives and Daughters.

I start teaching an intensive Latin class tomorrow, and this is going to be the perfect way to relax on weeknights. There's also some yummy looking short bread (which will be perfect with a spot of tea and some knitting) and lots of beautiful Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino, which I adore. The card is a Degas painting from the Art Institute of Chicago. Thanks, Amy! You read my mind on this one.

No comments: